XXXz2

The title of this blog post was brought to you by my sweet, Eli Grayson. It was then that I realized it is not possible to write a blog post with Eli Grayson awake. It is now 9 p.m. and I'm beginning again...

Here. It. Goes.



It's been cold lately. The wind chill has held us captive inside with cabin fever. It's almost too quiet when the heater finally clicks off. Our ears have become accustomed to the wave-sounding rush down the hallway each time it rumbles on.

We've been reading The Little House on the Prairie again. I sometimes feel like Mama; looking out of our icy windows as the snow flies and temperatures drop, drop, drop. Wiping noses and mixing pancake batter. Counting down the hours until Papa returns home from hunting. ...Or doing IT support. I wonder if Mama ever stayed in bright green lounge pants and band tee shirts. I hope she had decaf coffee if caffeine gave her migraines too.







As school continues on, I'm learning to trust a more child-led learning approach in some subjects. Our Science right now revolves around their interests. They are simply fascinated with animals, robotics and the human body. They LOVE experiments. So, we experiment, we learn about animals and their ways of life, we read every library book we can find on robots and we will soon be learning about the human body and all the systems that make "us!"

Last week, we talked about animals and their habitats. Now, we have boxes all over the kitchen of every type of habitat you can possibly think of.

We began with a study on the Arctic from an AWESOME hand-me-down book from their cousins, Matt and Mike. Thank you, cousins!


We did an experiment on arctic animals and their blubber. First, they had to put their hands in a bowl of ice water to feel how cold it was. Afterward, I covered their hands with a plastic bag coated in vegetable shortening and they dipped their hands in the ice water again. It was a good example to show them how blubber works and arctic animals stay warm. Lately, I've been really impressed with Liam and how much he's able to answer questions along with the kids during the experiments.


A couple habitats-

The Arctic habitat.




and the Desert habitat.




I can't remember what we were baking on this specific day. It looks to be our banana muffins.


One especially frigid day last week, I dragged the picnic table inside.


Eating lunch, coloring, doing school work, playing with play dough and having conversations while snacking. It's all held here now.
 









Prayers before lunch.


Painting with corn syrup and glitter.






Studying our 5 senses with popcorn. An afternoon snack turned into a study.




Painting the floor with a fruit and grain bar. You win, Eli. You win.


Attempting to put dishes in the dishwasher. You win, Eli. You win.


He has glasses now. He chose the black lenses with the red stripes that run down the sides. Let me just say, my heart aches because I love him so much. Maybe the aches we feel as parents can count as exercise. My heart is working overtime lately. I'm insanely fit.


Liam ran and grabbed the first pair of glasses he could find.




In case you were interested... a collection of what is currently on our counter right now.


Boots and her imitation of me at the end of the day-


Josie got her ears pierced on Saturday. Her bravery left me speechless and so proud. She skipped as she left behind the chair. She SKIPPED. Josie and her Rainbow Dash earrings. I'll never forget it.


at the mall:




at home:
Josh bought her the ballerina bear to remember the special moment. I think his heart hurt more than her ears. Good exercise, I tell you.


Superbowl Sunday!












So. We rooted for the Seahawks.


((I think you understand what I'm saying, right? Am I right?))

(Good thing you missed that one, Eli!)


Groundhogs day. Did he see his shadow? I don't even know. My guess? Yes. He always does.




Getting ready for Valentines day



See you soon, friends. I love you. You make me smile.

xoxo, Jessie






Comments

Amy said…
It always makes me so happy to see a new blog post from you! :)

Praying for you today. See you tomorrow
Xoxo 💙💛💙💛💙💛
tammy said…
Can't wait until you all fill my house.

Popular Posts