The smashing pumpkins

I've taken a lot of pictures in the past (almost) 7 years. It's really hard to believe how much living has been packed into just 7 little years.

The night before Halloween, I took a picture of our typical table set up with the special goodies we give the kids each year. Times like those, I really appreciate this hobby of mine. I often look back on pictures from the past 7 years and I can remember exactly how I felt when I took them. I could tell you what the kids were like. How life was hard. How life was happy. Pictures help me remember everything I never want to forget.

This night? I was tired. ...Which is something I have grown quite used to. Exhaustion is like a comfortable old sweater I'm swimming in lately. -Stretched out and worn but it's surprisingly warm and fits just right. I can see the season's end and that helps me seize the day and wear that sweater with pride. By the time I'm finished with it, it will have lived a good, long sweater life.

One day, I'll know what it's like to sleep again and that makes these days all the more humbling.

SO! This picture? ...Like the 6 other ones before it, I was tired. Tired and happy and excited for another day to celebrate. Holidays are my favorite, you know?


The kids wanted plastic fangs in the worst way. I tried not to tell them my memories of plastic fangs and bleeding gums. You live and learn. So... Live and learn my babies.


 












This is the kind of picture I hope they pull out one day when they are teenage best friends.





I had the kids wear their winter jackets under their costumes this year. Liam looked like the Stay Puft marshmallow man... er... dinosaur.


What I learned the most from Halloween 2014? ...Not many people know what a Meerkat is.




AND Stay Puft marshmallow man dinosaurs are very, VERY cute.








After the first street, Liam began to act as if he was really weighed down. (Winter jacket and candy bucket and all...) So he'd yell, "thank you! thank you!" after each house and hop into the stroller to travel from driveway to driveway. It was truly hilarious.



They done good, friends.


We have this awesome tradition where the kids go out and find buried treasure each year after trick or treating.








This year they found it in the doorway chest Uncle Johnny built.


A treasure of chapstick, silly putty, stickers, spiders and more.


When we returned home, we shared candy, watched halloween movies and the kids slept in the tent.




We have an awesome collection of costumes.


Josie is looking especially grown up to me lately.


More pictures of home.




He said his first word yesterday. "dada."






This is school to me.




He's a boy after his mama's heart.


The Smashing Pumpkins.


It's not going towards her. She had just released. :)


November. Excitement for the first snow and thanksgiving. The return of warm pajamas. I imagine November like the kind grandmother, "over the river and through the woods..." A pie is waiting and her hugs are the most welcoming feeling in the world.






I will protest socks until the first snow.










“The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder


(you forgot this here, Matt. hehe)

xoxo, Jessie

Comments

Amy said…
Beautiful my friend. Such warm memories <3 <3 <3

Popular Posts