Bringing in a New Year

Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. 
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Happy January, friends!


Right now, a bright sun is coming through the windows. It seems as if we haven't seen the sun in days! It has been quite grey and rainy.

I hope you are all having an excellent start to your New Year! 


On New years eve, we took down all of our Christmas decorations. There is something so sad and refreshing about saying goodbye to Christmas and starting fresh for the new year. It might sound funny... but I always pray while I take the ornaments off the tree. It is one of those moments where the reality of time holds a tight grip on me and my heart. and both sadness and gratitude fill me.

...So much can happen until we see those little ornaments again. Our kids will be a whole year older the next time their hands reach into that red box to hang them all once again. We'll have a 3 year old, a 5 year old, an 8 year old and a 10 year old by the end of this year.

Oh, time.

Lord, thank you for another wonderful Christmas. Thank you for now. Thank you for tomorrow. Thank you for a whole new year of promise and all of the happy and learning moments to come.



Our December Art shelf before I took everything down. I take a monthly photo of all the art the kids have done.


You know me and my optimistic spirit! ...As soon as our tree hit the end of our driveway, the Valentine's Day lights were up. Life rolls on and so do I. And so do we. 


My mom gave me these adorable owl jars for Christmas. I love looking at them sitting on the top of our stove. They make me smile.


I found this wonderful post of New Year's resolutions for moms. I found it encouraging and hung it on our fridge.


I also wanted to share this cute list of January to-do's for toddlers!


On New Year's Eve night, we all stayed up together. 3 of the 4 kids still hanging on to colds. But we had fun and we ate a lot of good food.


For Josh's instagram.


We tried to keep things exciting with hourly activities. Like a coloring contest!


and lots of dancing and lip sync competitions. (Ashton may have been napping at this point of the dancing).


At midnight, we rang in the new year with glitter and torn up construction paper!










I'm sure we'll be spotting glitter for months!


The final two days of Josh's time off were spent with big breakfasts, a dinner at Gramoo and Matt's house and a Monday visit to Chuck e cheese (which is a New year's tradition).





I love Liam's bright-eyed, stuff-of-life face!


The past two days I've been trying to get back on track. -Beginning school again, planning co-op classes and the end-of-the-year performance, browsing Sunday school books, planning our Valentines day party and our monthly menus. Tonight, the kids are back to guitar and piano lessons. I have January books at the library to pick up. Dinner to be made. Clothes to fold.

The kids are "visiting" China this month at co-op. Chopsticks, Chinese New year beads, a Chinese yo-yo and good luck coins. I'm going to pick up some Chinese noodles for them to try. They'll also be playing a traditional Chinese party game, making Chinese New year dragon masks and practicing Chinese calligraphy.


We are back to school! I have always loved January schooling. It is so cozy and pajamas are worn more often than not.




Painting with marshmallows for "M" week


"Catching a snowflake" pictures for art.


In September, I began making full monthly meal plans. (Before, it was bi-weekly). Planning monthly dinners has proven to save us money and has made life much easier in general.


This month's comfort-food meal menu! (Because what is warmer than comfort food/soup for January?!)


Our January Menu

Sunday- Gramoo and Matts! (Thank you, guys!)

Monday - Slow-cooker taco soup with cornbread

Tuesday - Breakfast Pizza (with fruit)

Wednesday- Tuscan White Bean and Spinach Soup

Thursday- Tuna Noodle Casserole (Can you believe I've never tried this before this month?)

Friday- Ham and Potato soup

Saturday- Whole chicken and rice in slow cooker (With steamed veggies)


A fresh calendar. A fresh year. Happy 2017!



Xoxo, Jessie


Some New Year's resolutions- 
More celebrating
More friends
More giving
More thanking







Comments

Amy said…
I am so so so happy you are back blogging! This made me so happy! Happy January! <3
Mom said…
We are also glad you are back!! I am so thankful for all of you.
William Brasky said…
Love seeing these posts again! You are the most amazing writer i know.
Jessie said…
I am so happy too! And your comments always make my day!
Jessie said…
We are so thankful for you!
Jessie said…
I love you! You make me so happy.
Loved all the pictures and seeing all of your lovely faces! Happy 2017❤️

Popular Posts