trying to catch up

I have a lot of catching up to do with my pictures. Where to start?



A lot seems to be happening lately. Some good. Some not so good. Some grey skies. Some sunny skies.

Enjoying all the sights and sounds from the yellow brick road.


like that set up? hehe, I have been dying to use this photo.

Any way, I'll start with "Oz" things. Every year the town of Chittenango -(the birth place of L. Frank Baum.) hosts their annual "Oz-Stravaganza." Every where you look you see Dorothy's & other Oz-themed characters. Even though the kids have never seen the movie, they were excited to get dressed up.







Ashton's costume didn't make much sense as a "munchkin" but he did look incredibly cute.











Josie looked so sweet in her Dorothy costume.



As Josh often sings, "I love a parade, when I hear a band
I just want to stand and cheer as they come!!"





The air feels like summer lately. Our skin smells like coconut sunscreens and our bare shoulders have become sun kissed. The sound of the hose filling up our inflatable pool and sprinkling across the yard has become our music. Late night bike rides and way past bedtime ice cream trips have become tradition lately.

Summer.

















I have fond memories of my brother and I making our own water slides and make shift slip and slides. Who needs fancy water parks with real pools? What we created was always something so much better.









Popsicles have become a normal part of our snack time each day. They leave sticky trails every where they go. but it's all part of the experience. It's just so... summer.







One rainy morning, we decided to make our own grocery store.





Ashton loves this game. We practice counting with our play money. We're learning to recycle. and of course, it's just really fun to pretend to make the, "beep!" "beep!" sound.




We've been keeping up with our Mudworks work.







We made little salt dough kitties that we'll be painting soon.





This is seriously in there. Who would think to actually make mashed potatoes just to play with them? ...We would so do it again.





Another good thing about summer? The ice cream has been comin' to town!



A bad thing about summer? The mosquito's have returned. and baby girl was bit right on her eye lid and it swelled shut. Seriously.



We still found fun things to do that day though.

Like, make shift tenting in the living room.



Baking cookies.






it was so hard to see our sweet lynnie this way.

and we thawed out the last bag of our left over Christmas punch.




We've been taking our family walks on the Canal. Right after dinner. Right before ice cream.



We like the scenery here.

















One of my favorite artists wrote about a part of parenting that I am very passionate about. After I read it, I just knew I wanted to share...

"I find the old adage where there's a will there's a way to be most true with kids. The doubt and insecurity comes later, it is learned. Margot often wants to put 17 books, 3 dolls and a fistful of fruit leathers in her tiny elmo backpack. And boy does homegirl try and retry. She lays everything out and arranges and rearranges arriving at her own conclusion. She decides what to leave out, what can fit. Sometimes she surprises everyone with just how much stuff can actually squeeze in that tattered bag.

With my kids, I try my hardest to give them space and support for self-discovery. Now, I don't mean that I let Margot wear socked feet in the snow. There are non-negotiables. But I do let her climb to jump from high rocks, get out of the stroller try to keep up with my running and fill buckets with as much dirt as she wants. Because even though I know the rock is too tall and dangerous, her little legs can't turnover at my pace and she'll never be able to lift the heavy bucket, I think it is vital that she discovers these things on her own. She gets up on the rock and decides it isn't safe and asks for help down, she sprints for 10 steps and wants back in the stroller, she grunts to lift the bucket and then removes dirt until she can lift it." -Nici Holt Cline


...I have always felt self discovery is and will always be a very important and vital part of my kids journey through life. and Nici pieced those words together so perfectly. and of course. God is always there cheering them on while they are on this road. Learning. Growing. and discovering.





It's getting late. I have so much I want to tell you. So much I want to show you. but for now, I have to go rest. Popping toasters and brewing coffee will be here before I know it.

Sweet dreams world.



Much more to come. (and catch up on!)

xoxo, Jessie

Comments

Scott said…
Jessie, your pictures just get better every time. I love you so much and I'm so proud of you!!!

Popular Posts