Liam Joel - A Birth Story

I awoke Josh around 12 a.m. Friday the 23rd.

With tears in my eyes... I softly said... "it's time. I know it's time to go. ...Honey, I'm scared."

Josh hugged me and reassured me everything was going to be ok.

Everything was going to be ok.

I slowly changed out of my pajama pants back into the stretched out maternity jeans I had resting by our bedside.

We called my doctor and we packed up the car.

-two sleepy littles still wrapped up in their blankets. Our cameras and our hospital bags.

this is really happening, I thought.

We dropped the kids off at my mothers around 12:30. I watched as Josh carried in jammied Ashton and Josie.

"Bye mama!" Ashton waved as he was carried inside. I thought,
life will be so different the next time I see you, my baby.

We arrived at the hospital around 1 a.m. My contractions 4 minutes apart.



My doctor soon came in and was able to confirm that with a little help, she could move our oddly laying Liam into the right spot. (he had not been head down at our previous doctors appointment either).

...And she did.

"3 centimeters" she said as she reassured me that Liam was indeed head down now and ready to come into this world.

"Thank you, Lord. Give me strength." I prayed and prayed.

I began pacing the room... back and forth. back and forth. Hating that one final step on that same teal tile on the floor that would lead into the next contraction.



As I moved from one contraction into another, I remembered that impossible pain and what to expect next. I remember trying to feel outside myself, as I channeled the strength and will of the millions of women who had done this and who were doing it right then. and I remember sometimes feeling like I’d maybe break into pieces right there.

I remember praying. I remember praying with everything that I was. Everything that I am.



The cool thing about the third time is that memory also reminded me that this was going perfectly and I was going to meet our son soon.

The pain quickly grew and just as I was feeling as if I was about to collapse to the floor I laid sideways on the bed. The nurses rushed in... "5 centimeters" they said.

that's impossible I thought.

So I laid there as the pain took over my entire body. I moaned to distract myself as I climbed which felt like an impossible hideous mountain that would never peak.

It was only about 10 minutes more and I yelled out, "I have to push! I need to push!"

And then...

I remember the doctor telling me that I was a ten. I remember crying hard. because this was really going to happen.

With a few last pushes... and there he would be.

...it was such a profoundly grounding moment.

The very last moment of life as we knew it before.

"Thank you, Lord. Give me strength."
...And there he was.







and there you were...





9 pounds. 3 ounces. 22 inches long.

Beautiful perfect you.





He nursed for the first time as the sun was starting to sneak under the shaded windows.

He was such a sight to behold on that early spring morning. I will never forget it.











And so... a new story began at 7:13 a.m. on March 23rd 2012.



I feel so blessed to be a part of this life. This new journey.





We are now a family of five.

and to all of you reading this right now -

.::Thank you for all of your prayers, love and support::.

xoxo,
Jessie
(and the rest of the Basile clan)

Comments

Popular Posts