Christmas

Right before the "3-2-1 Happy New Year!" of 2014, one of my back molars broke in half when I bit into a Tootsie Roll. I didn't even want the Tootsie Roll. I was just bored. I lost half a molar for the sake of being bored waiting for the "3-2-1." Thinking, "well, this year should be interesting..." I felt the sharp part of my broken molar rubbing against my tongue and vowed to defy all odds of the negative vibes from the broken molar on New Years Eve and I promised myself to never eat another Tootsie Roll again.

Maybe I should call 2014 the year of the Tootsie Roll.

In all seriousness and broken molar aside, if I did have to give this year a title I would call it, "The Year of Growth." I began the year with a growing belly, growing children, growing tired, growing angry, growing stronger, growing wiser, growing more aware. I've grown a lot this year. We all have. 

I am so grateful for these growing years. The kind that rekindles our awareness of how precious time and love is. The kind that helps us grasp a loved one's hand a little tighter. Hug a little longer. Cry some seriously cleansing tears. You become more aware of the kind of people you need in your life. And the people that you don't. Somehow, all these emotions come together in an inhale and when you exhale, peace. Peace and comfort and knowing that the day is fleeting. Life is fleeting. -So why not grasp as much joy as possible in the every day and run? Run like you ran as a child. When your heart nearly felt as if it were pounding out of your chest, just to get to that last stretch of the race. 

Life is meant to sift and change and grow. There will be happy moments, anxiety, weddings, new babies, joy, anger, new friends and funerals. We are all apart of it. Life. Some years just begin with broken molars.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas to all of you. 

We made our cookies on the 23rd, The day was spent doing the last things I had left on my mental to-do list. Traditions that we find meaningful and purposeful. Memory making with Judy Garland and Bing Crosby; whom I'm sure would give a good seize the day whisper right now, if they could. I hear those words haunting Judy's voice as she sings, "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas."













I may have to run like a child again after eating so many cookies and fudge.

It was around 10 p.m. on the 23rd when I finished wrapping up the kid's Christmas eve box.

Things were shaping up to be a great Christmas.

When I finally sat down on the couch that night, I heard Ashton's door squeeeeeeek open. My first thought. "he's excited for Christmas!" Only to notice him covered in puke. It wasn't long after Ashton fell asleep on the couch; that Josh began to get sick. It went on and on through out the night. 
So much, that Josie woke up frightened and unable to sleep herself.

I laid in her bed that night and we prayed, "please God. help them feel better. Help no one else get sick."

The big breakfast I had planned for Christmas eve turned into a morning-long feast of dry toast.

Josie, Liam and I made Grinch cupcakes while Josh and Ashton rested.


The kids were supposed to sing at the Christmas Eve service at our church but because of Ashton and Josh feeling sick, we stayed home the entire day.

Did anyone else track Santa?

We watched Christmas movies and enjoyed the slow pace. They gradually began to feel better and better. -With no one else falling sick. Hallelujah, Amen.

The night came quick and they opened up their Christmas eve box from Josh and I.


Looking good in their new jammies!



Next picture by Ashton-

His first Christmas.

They had cocoa and snacks and opened up their gifts from Moo and Matt.


Moo wrapped their gifts in one big box for each of them this year.

We lit their candles, set out the milk and cookies and the kids threw carrots out for the reindeer.




Christmas stories before bedtime

Christmas morning.


Santa needs to take it easy on the stocking stuffers. I think it's her ....errrr... his favorite part.

Joel had our "fireplace" going

HE CAME! My happy, sleepy eyes.









The kids each got a scooter from Santa. (bought last year, right after Christmas!)



Simply because they like looking back and remembering -







Eli's loot - 

My loot from Josh and the kids (too cute!) -

My favorite gift Josie received this year -

My favorite gift Ashton received-

Joel's gift to Josh-

Enjoying a cup of coffee in my new cup from Josh and Liam.

MONKEY BREAD!

I have such sweet memories of playing with my new playdoh on Christmas morning. 

So glad Joel braved the threat of the stomach bug and was here for Christmas. We love him.




Our Christmas dinner is always something simple. This year, we had lunch meat with Hawaiian rolls, baked macaroni and cheese, deviled eggs, cocktail weiners, cheese and crackers and a veggie tray.


Tea party with the Olaf tea set she received from Moo and Matt.

The kids were able to go out and ride their scooters! A special moment for us.





Eli enjoying his new bath on Christmas night.


A Christmas so dear to my heart.

The next day, Moo and Matt watched Eli and Liam so we were able to go bowling with some friends.


I love this picture because of Josie and her happy little spirit, skipping towards me.








Ashton would like to join a bowling league. Hopefully it's something he can begin, soon!







We have this "funny birthday card" thing going on. This one didn't disappoint. Still makes me laugh.

Presents!

Grateful for another year of life and love. Even if I'm missing half a molar.


My brother John and his wife are visiting from Virginia this week. Some of my favorite hugs!



There you have it! The year of the Tootsie Roll is coming to an end. I'm grateful for all of you.

I LOVE YOU

xoxo, Jessie



3-2-1.......................................






Comments

Popular Posts